Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oxford

During the course I actually got a Saturday off. So myself and the two other LTs from the US took a bus to Oxford. It was fun city. There were buildings that have been around for thousands of years surrounded by Gap and McDonalds stores that have obviously not been around for as long. We went to a couple of the older colleges that make up Oxford and a few other typical "Oxford" attractions. This here is actually the quad in which some of Harry Potter was filmed. We also got to see the dining hall that all the Harry Potter scenes were filmed in. We did not take any pictures in there though.

This is one of many stain glass windows we saw. I liked it because it was in black and white rather than color which I thought was unique.


We were told by all of our UK friends that we had to go punting down the Isis River. So we did. Rather than wasting a lot of time and making fools of ourselves we hired an expert to take us around. He is actually a student at Oxford. I have some pictures of me in the boat but they are still on somebody else's camera.

This is a view of the park we went around on the river. It was very pretty.

This is me in front of Radcliffe Camera. It is one of the few pictures I have that actually has me in it. So I am posting if of proof that I really was there. We climbed to the top of the building. It was quite entertaining because the stairs were very narrow and very steep.

This is one of a few pictures I took from the top of Radcliffe Camera.

After all the sightseeing we went to dinner and then we went to the "Eagle and Globe" bar which is apparently were C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein did some sharing of some of their writings. It was like a writers group. Then back on the bus and back to the grind.

No comments: